Tuesday, November 17, 2015

ILP 1: Design - Edmodo

For my first Independent Learning Project, I chose to create an online community/learning environment I could/would actually use in a classroom. I know we all set up Edmodo accounts during the course of the semester but I wanted to really check out all the features it has to offer.

I set up an English quiz where I got to make several decisions like how many questions, the form of the questions (multiple choice, fill in the blank, etc.), the point value of the questions, the questions themselves, and more. I thought it was neat that I got to preview the quiz and take it like a student would during said preview. There was also the option to send the grade from the quiz directly to an online Gradebook through Edmodo, which could be a great tool in the future if I'm struggling to enter all my grades on time.

I created an assignment in the form of an extra credit quiz. The assignment tab exists as almost a reminder to the students of the assignment. There is the option to name it and describe it but in order to actually have an assignment there, I had to link one online or attach a file containing the assignment.

I also added a poll asking where my students would rather take a field trip to learn about animals that live in or near water. The options were a beach, a river and a spring. The answers to that poll could be used to actually decide where to take a field trip, based on the majority vote.

I liked that there is always the option to schedule the post to go up on another date in the future. A teacher could plan out quizzes for the entire year and go ahead and have them set to post as the information quizzed on was covered.

I tried to embed a Slideshare about the parts of a plant but as I tried to view it, it appeared strange once, normal once, and not at all once. I found that frustrating because I really like Slideshare since we discussed it in class.

Overall, after using Edmodo for a while, I think it would be a great tool. It may have been more complicated for me to use because I didn't have actual students or parents in my group so everything seemed a little plain and unused. I do really like the program though. It's a great resource and community-building tool.

Click here to check out my Edmodo Classroom.

****** EDIT****** 
Use Group Code: rhmr6a to join and see what's happening in my online classroom!

1 comment:

  1. You included several question types. Cool! I particularly like the embedded SlideShare.

    ReplyDelete